Since its formation in 1993, the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA) Foundation has prided itself on providing emergency assistance to the families of fallen federal law enforcement heroes or those who have become terminally ill or disabled. Expanding on its primary mission, the FLEOA Foundation held its first annual awards ceremony in 2000 in order to recognize a ‘Law Enforcement Person of the Year.’ As is inherent in the award’s title, this honor is bestowed upon one outstanding law enforcement leader each year who distinguished him/herself in the law enforcement profession.
This prestigious award was first presented to former NYPD Commissioner and former U.S. Marshal Howard Safir in 2000. Since then, the Foundation has recognized and presented this award to one outstanding leader in the law enforcement profession each year. This includes a former Attorney General, former and current U.S. Attorneys, District Attorneys, federal agency directors and other distinguished law enforcement leaders.
The award is presented in March in recognition of the awardee\’s accomplishments in the preceding year:
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- In their official capacity, the awardee must have had a positive impact on the federal law enforcement profession in the preceding year
- The awardee must have been employed in the law enforcement profession, or as an executive in an organization whose mission is to support federal law enforcement, in the preceding year
- The awardee must have demonstrated strong leadership skills in the preceding year, and a sustained commitment to the goals and mission of law enforcement
- The awardee must exude the highest level of integrity and honor for the law enforcement profession
- The awardee must not have been convicted of a felony
- The awardee will have carried out their duties and advocacy for the law enforcement profession in a non-partisan manner during the preceding year
Any member of the FLEOA Foundation Board may nominate someone for the award. The Executive Board will convene and identify the nominee that most closely meets the criteria for the award. A majority vote of the FLEOA Foundation Executive Board will be necessary to select an awardee.